Is Chocolate Cake the Key to Happiness?
We all have days where all we need is an indulgent chocolate fix. But why does chocolate make us feel so happy? Experts tell us that chocolate contains compounds like theobromine, tryptophan and caffeine, all of which are associated with mood-lifting chemicals. One thing’s for sure, a chocolate a day chases our woes away.
Satisfy those chocolate cravings and make your stay-home weekend a whole lot happier with this easy-to-follow guide to making an irresistible Chocolate Cake from The Fullerton Hotel Sydney's pastry chef Rohit Menon.
Total time required: 1 hour 50 minutes
(Preparation: 20 minutes; Baking: 30 minutes; Cooling: 1 hour)
500g dark chocolate, chopped
8 whole eggs
Raspberries to garnish
Fresh whipped cream to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the chopped dark chocolate into a microwave safe bowl.
3. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave using 30-second bursts. Keep mixing between microwave intervals, until the chocolate is smooth with no visible lumps (if a microwave is not available, melt the chocolate over a double boiler).
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and creamy.
5. Add the whole eggs (one at a time) into the butter and sugar mixture.
6. Add the melted dark chocolate into the mix, followed by the flour. Continue mixing until there are no visible lumps of flour in the mixture.
7. Using a handheld mixer on a slow speed, continue to whip the mixture until the chocolate and flour are lightly combined.
8. Pour the batter into a baking tin and level the batter using a rubber spatula.
9. Bake the cake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. The top of the cake may crack during baking. Check if the cake is cooked by inserting a wooden or metal skewer into the cake—there should be streaks of butter left on the surface of the skewer when it is withdrawn. Be careful not to overbake.
10. Allow the cake to cool for 45 minutes to an hour before removing it from the baking tin.
11. Garnish the cake with fresh whipped cream and fresh raspberries, or any other fresh fruit of your choice.